Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Joy of Fall

This has got to be one of my favorite times of year. I take after my mom in the fact that I love to walk through piles of crunchy leaves. I have also discovered the joy of throwing leaves in the air and the smells of fall. So, here is the story:

My ward got together on Saturday to do service for some people in the area who might need help. We ended up with about twenty people there. We started by raking leaves at the church and then we broke up into small groups, my group had three, and went to houses of people who might need help. We had some neat experiences helping people who were not expecting it and talking to others. After 2 1/2 hours of raking leaves and working outside, I really wanted to play in leaves. That may sound strange seeing that I am not a kid anymore, but I can still have fun and be a kid at heart. We met up after the service project at a local park. When we got there, the guys had made a huge pile of leaves. We spent the rest of the time eating, jumping in leaves, and even throwing leaves in the air and at people. It was great.

I love serving other people. It is so rewarding and it makes all involved feel good. I want to leave a challenge with all who read this to do an act of service today to help out someone, anyone. It does not have to be anything major. I would love to hear what fun service ideas people come up with. Please let me know how it goes.

3 comments:

The Sayer Family said...

That sounds like so much fun! I will let you know what kind of service I come up with today ~ Thanks for the challenge!

The Sayer Family said...

Okay, so this is a little late but I did do two acts of service on Monday. I outlined and typed up and agenda for Jeremy's meeting Wednesday night. I also watched Jack for 3 days. I got paid but considered this service as I was using my time! That's it.

Whitney said...

Way to go. I love doing service and I am so glad that you got to do some for others who really needed help.