Friday, May 14, 2010

A Running Start

I learned to love running as a missionary. We were given some time in the morning for exercise and my preferred exercise quickly became running because it gave me a chance to think, reflect, and plan. Plus, it made for an excellent start to the day. When I got home, I had to stop running because of health and weight concerns. As mentioned in the previous post, I recently got clearance from a doctor to start working out and it has been fabulous!
First, I am so out of shape. The first couple of workouts were really tough. The second day, I was pretty sore. However, I have kept working out. Now I have a new goal for myself. I want to run a 5K by the end of the year. There are two that I am interested in running. One is in Idaho and the other in Utah and they are both in September. Hopefully I can be ready by then. My ultimate goal is to run a half-marathon, but that one is going to take more preparation so I am aiming for next May.
I have started "training". In fact, yesterday was supposed to be my first day of working out somewhere other than the basement. However, as I got into the workout clothes and set the pedometer, I heard thunder. One of my biggest fears in the world is thunder and lightning. I decided that if I heard another one, I would stay inside and workout in the basement. That is exactly what happened.
Needless to say, I decided to test my endurance and focus. I made it running a mile yesterday (maybe more, but I am not sure I set the pedometer right and that it was working correctly). It took longer than I wanted it too and I realized that I have a long ways to go. If I keep training and working hard, I should be able to do it.
It feels so good to be running again. I will try to keep this updated with my progress.

4 comments:

Jenny Axford Cook said...

Good luck Whitney! That is soooo great that you're going to do that.

Lisa said...

Good luck! You are awesome!

The Sayer Family said...

Jeremy told me that if your pedometer isn't working, you can always measure the distance you want to run outside by driving your car that far first. Just a little tip from "the coach." Keep me updated. I might have to send you daily logs so I keep up with it.

Celia said...

I am so happy for you Whitney! I love the goal you have set for yourself. I know you are a hard worker and you will do all you can to prepare yourself for a 5k in September. Let me know how it goes! Love ya!