Thursday, February 27, 2014

When I Grow Up

On May 28, 2013, I lost my voice and it has yet to completely return, though it is getting closer every day. However, because of the voice, I have started a program called Vocational Rehabilitation. This means that through the services provided, they will help me figure out a career path and find a job. This process has been quite interesting. At the beginning of February, I participated in multiple assessments to help me to learn more about my self, my interests, and what fields would be the most successful for me or where I would be happiest.

I got the report back today on the results of those assessments. I was given homework to figure out which field or what career I would like to focus on. I am my harshest critic, and because of that, choosing a new career path is daunting. I looked at some of the recommendations and am starting to consider which field. It is hard to see myself doing these things, in ways. Yet, in other ways, many of these intrigue me. Because of this, I'd like to ask for your help. Below are some of the options that I am considering.

~ Dietician
~ Pharmacist
~ Physical Therapist
~ Radiologic Tech
~ Athletic Trainer
~ Counselor - Chem. Dep.
~ Guidance Counselor
~ Nurse Aide
~ Occupational Therapist
~ Private Investigator  (Hee Hee Hee)
~ Travel Agent
~ Court Reporter
~ Data Input Operator
~ Medical Assistant
~ Pharmacy Tech
~ Writer

Here's where you come in. I'd like to make this a requirement for anyone who reads this, but I don't want to force you. I really am not that way. However, your input would be appreciated and much needed. Please comment below, send me an email, a message or comment on the facebook post to let me know what you think. I know that the ultimate decision is mine but I feel like others see what I would be good at, more than I do. I have cut out some of the jobs that were listed because they are ones that I feel would not be a good fit for me or I just would not enjoy.

Thanks everyone!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Honestly I can see you in those first 4 jobs more than the others! Best of luck!

Sean said...

Whitney, I think you will be great at whatever you put your heart into. Out of the list above, I could see you going into any of those careers, but especially nurse aide, medical assistant, physical therapist, or guidance counselor.

Cam E. O. said...

I have issues with the whole conglomerate of Big Pharma, so I'm going to veto all of those right there. Also, stay out of radiology....too much radiation on a daily basis no matter what they say. (see my stance on the scanners at the airport.) :) After looking over the list a few times my personal favorite is guidance counselor. You're a great listener, and very intuitive. Students could really use someone like you to help them. :) Good luck!