Sunday, June 22, 2014

Atonement

Do you ever feel alone? Does discouragement ever weigh you down. Do your trials seem impossible? Have you felt the pain of disappointment? Have you made mistakes and felt incapable of making things better? Have you been stretched beyond what you can handle and wondered how you can do it alone? For most of us, the answer is a resounding "Yes" to at least one of these questions. There is help. There is relief. There is hope. There is comfort. It all comes through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

First, what is the Atonement? This was when Jesus Christ took upon him the sins, pains and sufferings of the world, during his time in the Garden of Gethsemane. The Atonement allows us to reconcile our lives and restore harmony and peace therein.

The budding of my testimony of the Atonement happened while I was serving as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Since that moment, I have had many, many more experiences that have strengthened me. Some pushed me to limits I felt like were impossible to come out of. However, in those moments, I would put the Atonement into play and the help I needed would come at a very critical moment. I know that the Atonement is real.

Sister Linda S. Reeves said "Our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ, know us and love us. They know when we are in pain or suffering in any way. They do not say, "It's OK that you're in pain right now because soon everything is going to be alright. You will be healed, or your husband will find a job, or your wandering child will come back." They feel the depth of our suffering, and we can feel Their love and compassion in our suffering."

I have had the opportunity to use the Atonement quite frequently over the past 13 months, as I have struggled through many physical trials, which brought many other trials to the plate. It would have been impossible to get through all of this alone. They did not choose to heal me soon or answer the prayers of many, including mine, to restore my health at those moments. Instead, they felt my suffering and knew my pain. They sent me love and strength to get through what I needed to. They sent others to help me. They were there for me.

This had been re-confirmed in my heart and mind over the past couple weeks, as I have faced a trial that I have had no clue how to overcome and am still not sure how exactly to completely overcome. I received a blessing, which gave me assurance that our Heavenly Father is so mindful of us and our situations. It assured me that there is always help available when we need it. How can our Savior, Jesus Christ, not know how we feel, when he personally took upon him all of our pains, sufferings, afflictions, and sins? He truly knows. He did it not just for me, or for you, but for everyone!

Sister Reeves also said, "I testify that he has not forgotten you! Whatever sin or weakness or pain or struggle or trial you are going through, He know and understands those very moments. He loves you! And He will carry you through those moments, just as He did Mary and Martha. He has paid the price that He might know how to succor you. Cast your burdens upon Him. Tell your Heavenly Father how you feel. Tell him about your pain and afflictions and then give them to Him."

We do not have to go through anything alone. Our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will be there and want to help us with whatever trials we are going through. We are loved. We do not have to do any of this alone. We have the best support system available. It may not be easy. It may not be resolved in the way we hope or pray. However, help, strength and resolution will come.

I know that this is true. Though I do not completely understand the Atonement, I do know that we are not expected to make it through our sufferings and trials alone. I know that there is always one person who understand exactly what we are going through because our Savior experienced it all for us. We need to lean on Him and use Him, so that He may succor, lift, help and carry us through life. We do not have to be perfect to use the Atonement or get help. Using the Atonement daily in our lives will help us to become better. There is always help available to get us where we need to be. We need to ask for that help. We need to do our part. Through the Atonement, the rest of what we cannot handle will be made up for. I am so grateful for the Atonement and for my Savior, my Friend, and my Redeemer, Jesus Christ. This is my testimony.

0 comments: