Thursday, October 19, 2017

Peace! Cheer! Tribulations???

Lately, the world has seemed to be in a state of constant tribulation. There are fires, hurricanes, and many other natural disasters. There is increased violence. There are wars being raged on many fronts. We as humans are having to deal with more and more challenges physically, emotionally, socially, etc.

Just yesterday, I was so overwhelmed with sorrow, confusion, concern and longing. Longing for a better world. Longing for more places of peace. Longing to be able to reach out and help heal the hearts of those that suffer. Longing to calm those who worry. Longing to help and serve others in all these ways. But how? I am only one person.

Needless to say, I fell asleep discouraged and overwhelmed, but yet grateful for the little glimpses of peace that I could see. When I woke up this morning, I was feeling a little more optimistic but still feeling weighed down by the trials of those around my and my longing to help.

This evening, I went to a place of solace and peace. I went to the temple. As I entered, I wish I could say my worries went away and things were nice. It didn't happen that way. I knew I needed peace but was unsure how to find it. At one point, one of the workers approached me and told me something that I truly needed. After that, I became very overwhelmed, in a good way. Tears fell from my eyes. As I entered the Celestial Room, I realized that I was the only one there (with the exception of one worker). I chose my seat and sat down.

While sitting there and pondering, I felt that peace slowly come over me. I knew the struggles outside were still real and still happening but I felt calm. During that time a few thoughts came to mind. Then the feeling that I needed to share these thoughts.

The first comes from John 16:33. In this verse the word tribulation tends to stand out. It says that "In the world, ye shall have tribulation." The trials of the world are and will always be difficult. The word tribulation falls in the middle of the verse. It is surrounded by words like peace, cheer and overcome. The world will always have trials in the center, trying to drag us in to the storm. By clinging to peace and cheer, along with other positive feelings, we can overcome the tribulations that combat us.

The second comes from John 14:27. One of my biggest struggles in life is not being able to let go of my worries. "Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." Our anxieties can overshadow all of the peace that is coming our way. It does not always come in the way we can easily recognize. The truth of it all is that we can find and recognize that peace. It is amazing to see that in our everyday lives.

My last thought is how deeply we our loved by our Heavenly Father. He loves us so completely. He will affirm that love in many different ways. Encouraging words from a complete stranger. Reassurance when you seek for clarity. Warmth when you are attempting to escape the cold.

By having peace, being of good cheer, recognizing how loved we are and so much more, we can receive all we need to help us get through these times of tribulations.

0 comments: