Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Condition Does Not Define Me

Just a warning, this is going to be a more contemplative and serious post. It is also all about me, which does make me a little uncomfortable, but it needs to be written. You don't have to read it. You don't have to leave comments. Those both would be appreciated. Honestly, this is a way to express some things that are weighing on my mind.

For some reason the following words have been running through my mind all day: "My condition does not define me". That does not mean that it is not a part of me, but it is not who I am. Yes, it has become a daily part of my life, that I struggle with at times, but there is more to me than that.

I'm a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a friend, a co-worker and most importantly a child of God. I'm a person who listens, cares and loves. I have dreams and passions. I love having fun and finding joy in the things around me. Seeing me at first glance, I may appear a little shy or I may appear a happy person. Either way, that is all a part of me.

Like everyone else, I have my struggles. It seems rather interesting that people tend to focus on the struggles and set those and defining or deciding factors. Ok. My stomach doesn't work. So what. That doesn't mean I can't cook meals with foods I can't eat or that it hampers my everyday life or that I am depressed and discouraged about it. Honestly, that ship set sail a long time ago. Granted there are some things that it limits but I've learned to adapt.

This has made me a stronger person. It has taught me to take care of myself and still allow others to live their own lives the way they are. I will not condemn someone for living a "normal life" or eating foods around me that I cannot eat. Please do those things. By not doing those things, you make me feel guilty and uncomfortable. I don't want to make people change who they are for me. Yes, some days smells will bother me. Yes, some days I just can't do as much, but please respect that and know that I am not doing it because you have offended me.

Above all, just like everyone else, I need friends and supports. We all struggle. Don't be scared to be my friend because of my condition. Friends make this seem non-existent at times, because it is the last thing on my mind when I am out and having fun. Just because I have this condition does not mean that I'll have it for life but I promise you it will effect the rest of my life, and not necessarily in the way you think.

I will always look for ways to help those who are struggling and try to become a friend and support system to them. I will be more aware of the blessings that I have been given and know that many of those blessings come through trials.It will not necessarily stop me from living a full and fulfilled life and enjoying all the opportunities that are given to me and that most people enjoy.

It may be a part of who I am but, My Condition Does Not Define Me.


2 comments:

Jenny Axford Cook said...

You are so amazing-you know that? It's funny, becuase I almost forget about it most of the time. You are you and you are sooo fun! I love being around you and around your energy and love of life. You make others happy to be themselves and just have fun! And trust me, nothing will stop me from our monthly dinners. :) I am so proud of who you are and the way you choose to live your life. I love ya!!!

Lisa said...

Awesome post. I think we all need to remember this at some point.