Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Letter to My Grandpa

Dear Grandpa,

I have been thinking of you a lot these past couple of days. I remember all the time we spent together. It was always so amazing to me that your birthday was in April too. You were such a hard worker. You spent countless hours working in your garden and yard, fixing things, cutting hair and serving. I remember coming over when you would cut my dad's hair. Your work ethic was very evident in your work with the Railroad and Potato Harvests.
You lived your testimony. It was such a great example to see you fulfilling your callings and using your priesthood to help my dad give me a blessing, when I wasn't doing too well. I'm not clear on the circumstances of that blessing, but I remember you coming over, and with my dad, putting your hands on my hand, while I on the couch. Your example of fulfilling your callings has helped me in the callings that I have had.
As I grew older, I learned more and more about you. I didn't know that you were a veteran and had fought for our country. Not only did you fight, but you were injured. You received a Purple Heart. That was a sense of pride in you that I felt when I learned that story. Thank you so much for doing that.
You were always there for me. My dad always told stories of you being there for sporting events and you were there for some of mine. More importantly, you were there at the events that mattered the most: my baptism, my graduation, and more. I remember going through the temple for the first time and walking into the Celestial Room and you were there. That was such a special experience. You were there as I was set apart as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I remember giving you a hug after being set apart and you telling me how proud you were of me.
I didn't know, at that time, that it would be my last time seeing you or else I would have told you then how much you meant to me and how much I truly appreciated you. Even though you have passed on your legacy and lessons live on in your sons, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. In fact, my guess is that each one of them has learned so much from you and has so many memories.
You have helped make me who I am today. I have tried to use your work ethic and dedication in everything I do. At times when I am feeling weak, unable, or just plain struggling, I think of you and have more strength. You are always near and close for your family, even now and I look forward to the day when I can wrap my arms around you, give you a big hug and thank you for everything.
Grandpa, you are my hero!

Whitney

0 comments: