Sunday, April 20, 2014

A Different Easter

Growing up, Easter meant egg hunts, yummy candy, going to church and then Easter dinner. We would sometimes get new Easter dresses. The was always a plethora of plastic eggs and fun. Because of my love of junk food, I honestly really enjoyed this holiday. Always, in the back of my mind, whether I showed it or not, was thoughts of Christ.

As I got older, I still loved my candy so Easter remained fun, even though the novelty of the Easter Bunny and egg hunts started to fade. Then, one year, we had money inside our eggs. Yup! That was a good year and I got excited for the hunt. At this point, the more religious aspect was more important to me too. It was more about that, though amazing candy was a huge plus!

Over the past 8 years, I have done everything I can to make Easter more about Christ and his sacrifice. I have taken time to read his story, study the atonement, watch movies about it and more. Especially living away from home, I was still able to make Easter a very special day.



This year is definitely different than any other Easter that I have experienced. Today is absolutely not about the candy, because I cannot eat it and have to avoid it. I am not able to attend church today, but have been remembering Him all day through the music I listen to and the movies I watch. It has been peaceful.

I have a procedure at the hospital tomorrow and my preparation for that started last night. I woke up around 4:30 in the morning and in the hours after have decided that leaving my apartment is not a good idea. I am officially on a clear liquid diet which means no Easter candy and none of the normal celebratory foods. I won't be able to eat normal food until post procedure tomorrow. However, as I have thought about this, it has helped me to focus even more on the reason we celebrate Easter.

My Savior, Jesus Christ.


He knows what I have been through and what I am going through now. He fasted for 40 days and was tempted. His task was more difficult than mine but yet He did it.


He is the perfect example.


He provided a way to overcome the hardships that we have. He gives us the strength we need or are lacking.


He submitted His will to the father's though he knew the path would be hard.


At times, he stood alone and yet, He will never leave us alone. He will be with us as our constant companion, friend, helper and brother.


His sacrifice was pure and perfect. He has given us the ability to be clean and pure, to become like him, to be submissive, and to overcome.


I am overcome with gratitude for my Savior, Redeemer, Friend and Brother. I know that what He did was for each one of us. It is real. It is true. It is beautiful. It is humbling. It is perfect.

We always hear people say they want to keep the spirit of Christmas with them throughout the year. I believe something similar can be said about Easter. May we ever keep the meaning of Easter and the gratitude we have for our Savior first and foremost in our lives. It will help each day be better and helps us more fully appreciate and understand our struggles and how truly our Savior understands.

*Pictures are from the LDS Media Library*

0 comments: