Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Help!!!

I am going to be speaking in church in a couple of weeks and the topic is a really tough one for me. Basically, here are the three topics that I need to incorporate:

~Pioneers
~Establishing a Christ-Centered Home (Conference talk from April 2011)
~Developing Celestial Traditions

As I have read through this talk and some scriptures on traditions, I realized how family-centered this talk is going to be. I feel completely out of my league. Tonight I have been searching the Internet for some pioneer stories that could be used. Does anyone have any suggestions where to look or have any stories or thoughts.

Please share!!!

Thanks! :D

4 comments:

Cam E. O. said...

Here are some of my suggestions. Look up Eliza R Snow. (married to JS and BY, but only sealed the first...obviously! (but buried next to BY although her tomb stone says Eliza R Snow-Smith.)) She was a real pioneer, and writing songs and poetry could easily be counted into a celestial home.

What are things that these people who had almost nothing do to have a celestial home? My guess is they didn't have their own deseret book library or massive pictures of the temple of their choice covering their walls. So it has to be something else.

What were the things they could control? Clean home. Well-mannered children. All the attributes in PM(G/E). Things talked about in 121..house of order, house of learning, etc. Anyway that's my suggestions for you. Please give a summed up version of your talk after! I'm really interested in what you come up with!

Whitney said...

Thanks for the suggestions. They are great. I found some goods quotes from Eliza R. Snow and also some stories in Our Heritage. I don't speak until the 24th, so there is still time!

Lisa said...

There's a book called "I Walked to Zion" that I have. It is chock full of good stories. Good luck!

Whitney said...

I heard that book was good and that there was a follow up to that book too. I am going to head to the library today or tomorrow and see if I can find those.