Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cowgirl Up!

HOWDY! A couple of years ago, while filling my car with gas, I began to small talk with another man (in his forties or fifties) about little things. While I was washing my windows, waiting for my car to be filled, he asked me a really random question. He asked “Are you a Cowgirl?”

I was a little confused and told him no. He continued to tell me that I sound like a cowgirl and I was dressed like a cowgirl. Please note that I was wearing a sweater and jeans that day. I have never been told I sound like one, so I began to think what cowgirls sound like.

Another incident occurred when on a date over a year ago. It was a blind date. When the guy found out that I was from Idaho, he got really excited. He immediately asked me if I was a rancher. After I told him no, he continued to ask if my parents were ranchers. After responding no to this question, he was a bit dumbfounded. I explained that we lived in a city in Idaho. He was so confused. Then he said this: “Then your grandparents must be ranchers!” Wow! My Grandpa did work on a Potato Farm for a while, but honestly, he was not a rancher. He was a railroader. This guy was flabbergasted, to say the least.

Let’s fast forward to this morning. Since getting this job, I haven’t really had a need to wear long pants to work, where it is a casual work environment, where I may need to help on the production floor, and where the weather has been great. This morning was chilly and I didn't see it warming up. I put on some jeans, a shirt, a zip up hoodie, and a pair of black shoes. Not sure why, but my co-worker came up and asked me if I was trying to be all cowgirl like today. Ha Ha Ha. I laughed. He thought I was wearing boots and the jeans probably threw him off. As I walked to the shipping department, I was literally laughing as all of these memories rushed my head.

When I pictures cowgirls, this is what I picture:



That’s not me.

Maybe this is a sign that I was meant to be a cowgirl. I decided to do a little research on what it takes to be a cowgirl.

Dress like one ~ Apparently I have that one down, even though I don’t think I do. I don’t own the cowgirl hat or boots.

Know lots about horses ~ I know some things about them, but not a ton. Plus, I have never really been horseback riding. We went once when I was a kid, but someone guided the horse the whole time. If that counts, then I have been elephant back riding too.

Attend Rodeos ~ Though I from a place where the DNCFR comes yearly, I have never been to a rodeo.

Listen to Country and Rock Music ~ This one is fine. I do listen to Country music sometimes, but not so much rock. Hhhmmm

Work on a Ranch and learn about cattle ~ Lots of room for improvement on this one. Seriously!

Enjoy being outdoors, working with animals and keeping a quintessential American way of life alive. ~ I love being outside, not so much with the animals, but the American way of life is always great!

It appears that I don’t have what it takes to be a cowgirl. Ha Ha. Oh well, a girl can dream right? Or, I can always wait for more people to proclaim me a cowgirl even though it is not true. Happy Trails Y’all!

2 comments:

Melissa K. said...

Ha ha, fantastic.

Jenny Axford Cook said...

I love your blog! You crack me up!!