Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Snowy Lesson

Wow! I just had a neat experience. To preface all of this, let me explain that being single has allowed me to become a more independent person. I have always had a hard time asking people for help when it is something that I could do on my own. I have convinced myself that I can do almost anything needed, or at least try to, before asking.

Sometimes this causes problems for me. For example, right now I have an old, battered mattress with holes and springs popping out, because I don't want to ask for help to get it to the dump. I keep telling myself that I am sure that I can find a way. I have a burnt out light bulb that I am going to attempt to take care of today using a chair because it is too high for me to reach normally and I don't want to have anyone help where it is in my bedroom. Needless to say my closet light and bed lamp have been getting a lot of use.

It also has helped me to learn things too. I love searching the web for answers to problems or to see what can be done. Last week, I made homemade Mayo because we had run out, it was Sunday, so I wasn't going to the store, and the recipe I was making called for it, so I needed it.

I'm also one who has always thought women and men can be good at and do the same things. (I'm not an extremists.) It doesn't bother me when I guy forgets to open a door. I love working hard with guys. For example, one time when I moved, I did everything I could ahead of time. I had moved all of the big stuff to be right by the stairs so I could get some help with that. It is enjoyable for me to help my dad put branches in the truck, bind them in and take them to the dump.

With that being said, it is nice to be offered help. Here is the story. Not sure how many of you know this, but it is snowing quite heavily right now where I live. When I went to church this morning, I parked my car and sat in there for no more than 3 minutes getting my stuff together. By the time I got out, my car was already covered in a light blanket of snow. It didn't occur to me as a problem where it was frigidly cold and I've cleaned off my care numerous times.

After church, I was talking with one of the counselor about some young women stuff. When we went to leave, I realized how much it had been snowing. My car was covered and so was the parking lot. I was a little worried about getting stuck. As we were walking out the door, my friend's husband told her to wait inside and he would bring the car up. For a very brief moment, I thought that was really sweet and what a gentlemen he was. I even had the thought that it would be great to have a guy about then. That quickly went away because cleaning off windows isn't terrible. I went to work. I grabbed my snow removal device (I call it a fluffer, but I'm not sure of the technical name) and started going at it. I was in boots and a coat, do I could totally handle it. Within a minute, a guy had jumped out of his car and told me to hop in my car and he would take care of it. I was a little shocked to say the least. No one has ever offered to do that for me. I responded saying I was fine and could handle it, but he wouldn't take it as answer. He started cleaning off my car and told me to get in. So I got in, after thanking him a couple times, and started my car, so it would warm up a bit. By the time he had finished, it was already covered but not bad enough that I couldn't drive. I thanked him again and took off.

This was an incredible experience for me. Even though I am independent and could have taken care off it by myself, it felt nice for a guy to offer to help, insist on it and do it. He was so respectful and kind. I'm sure he wanted to get home, out of the snow, and spend some time with his family. Instead he took a little time out to clean off my car and help me out. It showed my that there are good people out there and makes me want to pay it forward and help someone else out, who may be in need but may be too prideful to ask for it (like I am).

Thanks to Brother (I'm not quite sure of his last name) for the help and for his family, though they may not know what he did, for allowing him to help me. What a good person!

1 comments:

Lisa said...

What a sweet story. It's always nice to have that kind of stuff done, even when you are married. :)