Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Amazing Temple Friends & The Lessons They've Taught

For the past 2  years and 2 months, I have been blessed with the opportunity to serve as a temple worker. It is rewarding just to be there consistently and feel of the spirit and know of God's love for us and the work that take place in the temple. Amazing!!!

I know I use this picture a lot, but it's a favorite!!!

One of the best parts is getting to know the incredible people there. We are divided up in groups of workers and I can honestly tell you that the people I work with are such great people and amazing examples. I can truly call them friends and have created friendships that will be lifelong. Some are no longer in my group, others have moved, but the impact they have made can still be felt. I learn so much from these amazing people. I wanted to share with you some of the things these incredible workers have taught me. These are not all through words, but by actions and examples as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is amazing to me how much time these wonderful men and women dedicate to serving. I wish I could do as much as they do. Many of these workers not only work their weekly shift, but will substitute for others on their days and times off and still make time for their own personal temple worship. One lady shared that she and her husband go to the temple for a session one day, do initiatories one day, and work one day. Though I cannot dedicate as much time as they do, I have learned what true, dedicated service looks like and have a resolve to serve that way when I can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One week, I was put as the sister in the session who is at the front of the room. As we entered the room, I realized that the man at the front of the room, was the husband of the sister. They are one of the cutest couples ever! That day, they were celebrating their anniversary. As soon as she walked in and saw him up front, she and I exchanged glances and we switched spots. The little looks they gave each other and the smiles show true and eternal love. I've watched this couple a few times and then genuine concern they show when one is sick, the joy they find in being with each other and the true happiness that have in their marriage. Just a few lessons from them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My group coordinator has been so supportive of me, especially the past couple months. She was talking to me a few weeks ago and mentioned that couldn't imagine going through what I was going through. Here is a woman who has had two surgeries in the past year and yet she thinks my lot is hard. At one point she told me that "He must have something incredible for me" coming because of this trial. I gave her my hopefully sign and didn't think much of it. She said it again this week, except this time she said that she knew he had something incredible for me. She continued to show how, even though I can't do a ton at the temple, what I can do and have done has been perfect. A new position had been created (that works with my trial) and I have been able to train many people on the position. She has taught me faith and hope and the importance of instilling that in others, even when our life isn't ideal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have so many favorites right now at the temple. They are wonderful. One of my favorites is a cute lady who is happy and goofy and fun. She has told me that she doesn't always feel like she can do the position she has been called to, but she still does it and does it and does it fantastically, I might add. She does it with a smile on her face and a joke or two. She constantly has such a positive attitude and great disposition. I have learned from her, that no matter how inadequate we feel, the Lord qualifies those he calls. Also, the power of positivity and the influence it has on those around you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was one day where a good friend and I were asked to stay late and help the next group with a session because they had a few people not show up. We both said we would. Before heading in to the session, they gave us a brief break, so we headed down to the cafeteria. As we sat down there, we talked about life and although I don't remember the exact particulars of our conversation, what I do remember is how what she said was exactly what I needed to hear and help me as we went in to the session to really focus on the peace that can be obtained in the temple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had the awesome opportunity to train a girl, who became an instant friend. She was so sweet, kind and full of charity and love. I wanted to be like her in so many ways and am so blessed that we got to spend so much time together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My group was blessed to have many younger workers helping out. Some of them were married and some were single. Each brings or brought their own special feel to our group. Most of them are/were students and are/were working as well. I've learned from these great friends the art of balance. Life is busy as a young adult (married or single), but making time for the temple is truly the greatest help to make sure that you are putting the Lord first. These friends (because all of them have become friends to me) showed me this time and time again. Thank you all!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been hard saying goodbye to some of these wonderful workers. When the Brigham City temple was built and dedicated, some of our workers lived in those boundaries, so they were no longer able to serve on our group. That was a hard day. Others have moved for jobs or missions. Some have changed groups. You get to know these wonderful people who become an important part of your life, and then they are gone. Thank goodness there are still ways to keep in contact. I cannot begin to tell you the impact each of these incredible people have had on me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wish I could list all of the names and lessons that I have learned from my temple friends (including the patrons who become like part of your family), but that would make this long post even longer. Just know, if you are reading this right now and you are one them, you mean the world to me and I miss you if you are gone. If you are still there, I am grateful and glad for that. Know that I love you all and treasure the lessons and spirit and kindness and love that you have brought in to my life.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Whitney,
you are so amazing! I am so grateful that I know you! I hope that everything keeps going well with your voice and everything. Thank you for your example!