Saturday, August 3, 2013

Whitney's Whisperings:Part II (Or Non-Whisperings Now)

This is a continuation of the previous post, because let's face it, some crazy stuff has happened since then and I'm sure you are all on the edge of you seat wanting to know more about my wacky world. With that said, let's begin.

DIAGNOSIS

Yup. That's right. I finally have a diagnose. I have Muscle Tension Dysphonia. The Padres (who are so amazing) came down for the appointment. It was nice to have them there. After multiple stretches, massages and me attempting to make noise and say words (which at one point actually came out semi-normal), along with the stroboscopy, I was given the diagnosis and the treatment plan. Therapy. I will be going to Salt Lake for that and am hoping to start it very soon. The voice will come back. I have to admit, I laughed during the appointment because I could not even fathom the idea of being able to make the noises and sounds. One time, I even laughed at what she was having me say. Oops!

I was also told in the appointment that I am no longer supposed to talk or whisper (which is why I added the "non-whisperings" to the title). Instead, I now carry around a whiteboard or notebook, depending on where I am. Do you know how hard that is? Try it out some time. Go for a couple hours without talking or whispering and writing all your thoughts on a whiteboard or in a notebook. I never realized how much I took my voice for granted.

TEMPLE CALLING

I started working at the Logan temple in June of 2011. It has been a wonderful blessing in my life and I have met so many wonderful people through it. I cannot even begin to explain how going there and working after a rough weeks, seems to make life a little better. The ladies I work with or have worked with are amazing. They are such great examples to me.

When I got called, I was told it was a 2-year calling. So June came and went, and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to keep going or not, because no one had said anything. I kept going though. Last week, right after being told I cannot talk, I was asked to go speak with a member of the temple presidency. I was a little nervous that it was going to end because of the voice. However, the re-issued my call for another 2 years! So excited! I could not survive with the wonderful people and experiences.

MOVING

No, I'm not moving apartments. I'm just switching rooms. My roommate bought a house and moved out this week. Up until a few weeks ago, I had someone who was going to move in and was wanting to move in. What a relief. However, my neighbor came over one day and told me that the girl who was going to move in just had gotten engaged which meant that she wasn't going to move in. Aaahhhh!!!!! Throughout this week, as my roommate packed up her stuff, it started to sink in that I was going to be all alone in the apartment. We cleaned out everything. The pantry, fridge and freezer and pretty bare. Guess I really don't buy that much food.

While I was helping her yesterday, I had a thought to text one of my old roommates. Everything worked out and she will be moving in with me later this month. Thank goodness! I like being alone, don't get me wrong, but having someone there to share the bills, for company when needed, and more is a huge blessing.

COMPUTER ISSUES

A little while ago, my computer broke. It has not been easy trying to communicate with people without one. I can't talk for goodness sakes. Now I can't write emails or use Facebook or update my blog, because my computer is dead. Needless to say, it meant that I had to go and buy a computer. I struggled with this because: 1. I don't like to spend money. 2. I could not communicate with the people at the stores to ask questions. 3. By the end of the day, I had no motivation.4. Did I mention I don't like to spend money.

I enlisted a friend and wrote out a few questions that I had for the store. I entered that store armed with my friend, a notebook, a pen, a whiteboard, and a marker, but it was still hard. We were able to get everything communicated and in the end, I got the computer that I wanted and not the one they were trying to sell me. Go me! I arranged for them to transfer data and install a few things. Apparently, that was an issue. I got a call saying it was ready but that they would have a 10 minute install to do when I was there. I got there and 1 hour 40 minutes later, I walked out of the store with my new computer. Wow! What a long wait!

PAJAMA PARTY

I have the best Visiting Teacher in the world. She has become a very dear friend to me and am so grateful for everything she does. She has texted me a few times since my diagnosis. One time, she invited me over to her place to watch a movie and eat treats so I could do something fun, without using my voice. And we got to wear our pajamas! Before I went over that night, she texted me and said she was going to the store and asked if there was anything that I needed. What an angel! She is so fun to be around. It was a good time! Bet you wish you had a visiting teacher like mine!

SERVING OTHERS/LETTING OTHERS SERVE

Last Sunday marked the 2 month mark of not having a voice. Hard day? You betcha! It is so strange to be driving in car with someone as a passenger and not be able to carry on a conversation because you can not write while driving. I've discovered some people are really good at reading lips. Throughout all of this, I've been reminded a couple times that this is a time for me to let people serve and for people to learn service. I'm kind of prideful and don't let people serve me very often because I think that I am able to do everything. In a blessing I was told that I have had my time to serve and help others and have made that a priority. Now, it is a time for me to ask for and accept service. That's hard! But I'm trying. When people ask what they can do to help me, I take them seriously.

RETURN OF THE TREASURE BOX

I worked at day care facility for a while. One of my favorite classes to be in was the After-School/Summer Kids program. These were school-aged kids and it was a blast to play with them and watch them grow. We would award them points for good things that they did. Once a month, we would have a Treasure Box day, where the kids could use those points to buy prizes. I decided to use that idea with my Young Women.

Throughout the month of July, they were asked to work on their Personal Progress. On the night of mutual, they talked with the leaders about what they had done and what they had learned. They were given tickets based on how much they had done. At the end of the night, they were able to use those tickets to buy some really fun stuff. It turned out really well and got the girls excited to do their Personal Progress. We even have one who is really close to finishing now.

This ends this installment of Whitney's Whisperings, or lack thereof. :) Thanks for reading and in a way, communicating with me. Love "talking" to you all like this. :D

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey girl! So sorry things are so hard right now! I wish I were close and could help! But hooray for a diagnosis and Therapy! Love your guts!