Monday, May 12, 2014

A Surprise for My Mom

This year has been a difficult one and I could not think of a gift for my mom for Mother's Day that adequately expressed my gratitude for all her help. Let me just say a few words about that.

My mom is one of the most giving and charitable people I know. She came down a few times during this ordeal. Each time, she would spend time cleaning my house, cooking for me, buying me groceries and more. She even helped me pack up things before and after surgery so it was easier when it came time to move. I cannot express how much that helped and how much it meant to me. She would check in with my daily to see how I was doing and what she could do to help. She is so kind. How do you repay someone who has done so much for you? An idea began to blossom.

The Idea:

A few weeks ago, during a phone conversation, she said something about me not making it home. I haven't been home all year because of finances and sickness. I knew that I had traveled. However, I figured if finances worked out, with the new job that I have been working and babysitting, I would surprise her and show up at home. I also wanted to bring her something that she would like. I thought on that and decided a plant may work.

Prep Work:

I started making phone calls to make sure that she would be in town. I told my dad my plan and he worked with me to make sure it could happen. I also let my brother and sister know it was a surprise, though my sister forgot. My mom and dad were going to be out of town when I arrived and so I planned carefully where I was going to park (not my normal spot) and arranged a time frame for arrival.

The Surprise:

I packed my bag, loaded up, filled the car with gas, and headed out. I made a stop at a greenhouse on the way out of town and potted a plant for her. Then, I took off. I arrived and took my stuff into the basement bedroom, including the plant. I spent the time waiting for them to come home on the floor. When they arrived, I realized I didn't know what I was going to say or how I was going to surprise her so I just sat there. My dad unlocked the door and walked in. My mom walked in and jumped. She was startled to see someone in her house. When she realized it was me, I said "Happy Mother's Day". It worked out so well. She had no clue.

The next morning, when I woke up, I went upstairs with the plant in my hand. When she saw that, she was pretty shocked too. She had said that my coming was gift enough. Hopefully, the plant was just an added bonus.

The Ending:

I spent the rest of the day going to church, having dinner with my Grandpa Ivey, doing dishes for her, and visiting my Grandma Parkin. It really was a wonderful day. We ended the day trying to figure out how to use her tablet to take a selfie and post it onto Facebook. I have to say, the picture that we attempted still makes me laugh out loud. Let's just say it got deleted pretty quickly after. We ended up with a pretty decent one.


I love my mom and am so glad that I could spend Mother's Day with her.

0 comments: