Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Conference Time

For those of you who know me really well, I love General Conference. It is a time when we are able to hear inspired words from out leaders and also make new commitments to do and be better. The October General Conference was no exception. There was so much said and I am grateful for the opportunity that we have to live in a time when we can participate in such events through modern technology.

I would love to hear what everyone else thought of conference and the thoughts and ideas that they had. What were you favorites talks and why? What were the themes that you saw? Call me strange, but it is always fun to hear what others learned and liked and share your own thoughts. Since this is my blog, I will share my thoughts first, but I look forward to hearing what everyone else has to say too.

One of the talks that impacted me the most was President Uchtdorf's talk. This was one of the talks that I needed in my life at this point. I loved how he told us to slow down and simplify. Life does not have to busy, because a lot of times when we make it busy, is when we forget to do the small and simple things. Also, I loved the four relationships that he outlined between, family, fellow men, God, and ourselves. His advice to us to get to know God better by making sure we made a quiet time for him was much needed. Also, I loved the part where he talked about our relationship with ourselves and how we should not be so hard on ourselves.

There were a couple of themes that stood out to me. There was a lot said on gratitude and trust, as well as agency. There was also an emphasis on paying attention to the spirit and making ourselves worthy to have the spirit with us throughout our lives.

Please share your thoughts and ideas and check back frequently. Hopefully, from other thoughts and ideas we can all learn and apply more of the conference in our lives.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Well sadly enough I didn't get NEARLY enough listening done as I'd hoped. My lovely kiddos saw to that. Plus the long nights before made for less than perfect attention on my part anyway (read... fell asleep). But there was 1 talk that I LOVED. I believe it was Elder Bednar's during Sunday afternoon. Directed towards teenagers and parents of teens. The biggest thing that stood out - no sleepovers. Nothing good happens at night. This is something I have actually thought a lot about lately as Kirk is starting into that phase. It was nice to have prophetic counsel to such a specific extent!

Whitney said...

I have to admit, Elder Bednar's was one that I don't remember the best. However, I have heard wonderful things about it and plan on reading through it tonight. Following and keeping the spirit is such an important topic for us all!