Sunday, April 17, 2011

Convetional vs. YSA

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the main event!
In one corner we have the conventional ward.
In the other corner, we the YSA ward.
Who will win???

This really isn't a wrestling match with crazy fans, lights and hard hits. It is more of an internal wrestling match that has been going on with myself for quite some time. It may seem random that someone who is still eligible for a YSA ward to be considering this type of change, but truthfully, it could be a good thing.

Case and point, a girl I know started attending a conventional ward, was put into a wonderful calling and no longer than six months later, was engaged. It is possible without being in a ward full of single people. In fact, I wonder if it is easier that way, because then you are not battling with hundreds of other singles for the same person (to your own knowledge).

Today, I decided to try it out and went to both wards. There are positives and negatives about both. I started in a conventional ward setting. There were quite a few younger couples and younger children. However, the talks were applicable to those in whatever stage of life. In fact, a member of the bishopric spoke a little and I felt as if he were talking right to me. The people were curious, courteous and helpful. They seemed happy and were there for the right reasons. I was able to get a lot out of the lessons. I did keep finding myself asking if I would get discouraged in a place where everyone was couples and families.

After that ward, I went to Sacrament Meeting in my YSA ward. Upon arrival, I met with the Relief Society president and then was able to help the ward choir (because my calling in life for that is to be the official page-turner, even though it is not a calling or anything of that nature). There are so many amazing people who come from different walks of life, but are all in somewhat similar circumstances at this point. It is easy to relate to them and receive/prepare messages for a specific audience. However, there is a lot of pressure going to the ward about doing and saying the right thing for fear that you are constantly being judged and looked at as a potential eternal companion or competition.

This is the battle! At this point, the answer is unclear. My hope is to make a decision and take it to the temple this week and decide where I am truly and honestly needed and wanted, or more so, what the Lord wants me to do.

Basically, I am still in the decision-making process and any help would be fabulous! Any thoughts or input? Who should win? What are some of your thoughts and opinions? Is there anything that I am overlooking or forgetting?

1 comments:

Lisa said...

As hard as it could be, I think you have so much to offer a conventional ward! There are so many different types of people in them. And you learn at a totally different level when you have people from all walks of life teaching.
Regardless - you are amazing. Good luck in all your decisions! The church is true no matter what ward you are in!